Time is Money. Professional Services engineers help organizations fax-enable business applications so that processes take minutes instead of hours. Whether the need is for a hospital to schedule patient surgeries, or a financial lender to route incoming loan applications according to bar codes, our engineers can work with you to design, test, and successfully implement an automated solution that replaces costly manual procedures.
A Typical Implementation
The following is an example of how St. Anthony's Medical Center in St. Louis worked with Biscom's Professional Services team to implement a medical test-ordering
Biscom's Fax Server and Workflow
- Up-to-25,000 physician orders a month – for such services as MRIs, X-rays, and CAT scans – were faxed to multiple service points (i.e., 18 different fax machines), with these associated problems:
- St. Anthony’s was at high risk of violating HIPAA regulations since sensitive patient information too often went to the wrong destination, or was simply lost.
- When a patient could not be matched with an order, each service point was required to contact every other service point about the missing faxes.
- With legacy fax machines, no tracking or auditing was available, so that neither sender nor recipient could verify an order’s status.
Biscom's Fax Server and Workflow
- St. Anthony’s installed a FAXCOM fax server, which resulted in immediate improvements, not only in paper costs, but also in enhanced HIPAA compliance.
- St. Anthony’s installed Biscom’s Workflow Enterprise, whereby inbound faxes received to one fax number are routed to different locations according to content extracted through optical character recognition (OCR).
- Workflow participants specify search criteria to locate any fax and instantly retrieve its image. St. Anthony’s now had an audit trail that could verify whether the fax was actually received. According to the Director of Admissions, such auditing created “a new level of accountability on both sides.”
- Since implementing Biscom’s medical test-ordering system, St. Anthony’s has reported that “we haven’t had any missed orders since the implementation.”
Fax Automation Tools
Biscom Professional Services engineers are experts in helping customers use the following Biscom fax solutions:
Biscom DocFlow – an application that accepts as input an unstructured data stream (i.e., a text file, print stream, or FTP transfer) from a Host system, and transforms it into a structured document for delivery by the FAXCOM Server via fax or email.
- DocFlow looks for specific keywords within the document that have information to be extracted for job control processing.
- DocFlow then matches the keywords with rules in a Rules table to determine how to address, format, and route the document.
Biscom Workflow – an application that processes document images, typically as part of a business workflow, where roles are assigned to perform specific functions.
- In a typical workflow, document images – which can be received faxes, scanned paper documents, electronic files – progress from role to role based on information specified in data entry fields.
- In response to the data entry, Workflow updates the status of the document image and, if specific criteria have been met, transitions the document image from role to role.
Biscom Advanced Fax Routing – a rules-based utility for specifying actions that automatically route incoming faxes. Common implementations of Advanced Fax Routing include:
- Delivering faxes to different locations based on the date and time
- Splitting a multi-page fax into multiple separate deliveries
- Using optical character recognition (OCR) to extract routing information text from the received fax cover page
- Redirecting faxes when a recipient is out-of-office
Biscom Hybrid Fax Solution – an implementation whereby fax processing automatically fails over to Biscom’s cloud-based hosted fax service whenever a problem arises in the on-premises fax system.
Biscom's Professional Services team provides the following services:
Assistance when Migrating from an Existing Fax Server – to ensure that customers have to make only minimal changes to existing production fax applications. By integrating Biscom’s DocFlow application, which takes the output of a Host system and transforms it into a structured document, the Professional Services engineer helps implement a migration solution that leaves existing applications intact.
Customized Rules-based Fax Routing and Roles-based Fax Processing – for quickly fax-enabling business processes. By integrating Biscom’s Advanced Fax Routing and Workflow applications, the engineer helps automate such processes as scheduling patient surgeries, routing purchase orders, and requesting prescription refills.
Fax System Cost Analysis – to help customers make the most educated choice of the best fax system for their needs. The engineer works with customers to help them understand which implementation is most economical: a premises-based fax server, a cloud-based hosted fax service, or a hybrid combination of both.
Business Continuity Solutions – to ensure that mission-critical fax applications are always available. The engineer helps design a hybrid solution that guarantees automatic failover to Biscom’s cloud-based hosted fax service when problems arise in the on-premises system.